Sunday, September 25, 2005

Toxic Cleaning Solution: BEWARE of Swiffer Wetjet

Yahoo! Mail - "I recently had a neighbor who had their 5-year old German shepherd dog
put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a
few weeks ago. They had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The
liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of
some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's
with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard
to believe.My neighbor started going through all the items in the
house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny
print, a warning which stated 'may be harmful to small children and
animals.' He called the company to ask what the contents of the
cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is
one of the ingredients. (Actually he was told it's a compound which
is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore, just by the dog
walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own
paws, it ingested
enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's
death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They
both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors."
--since bulldogs are so allergy prone, no harsh chemicals
should ever be used around the house