Sunday, September 25, 2005

Toxic Cleaning Solution: BEWARE of Swiffer Wetjet

Yahoo! Mail - kiyoshioz@yahoo.com: "I recently had a neighbor who had their 5-year old German shepherd dog
put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a
few weeks ago. They had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The
liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of
some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's
with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard
to believe.My neighbor started going through all the items in the
house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny
print, a warning which stated 'may be harmful to small children and
animals.' He called the company to ask what the contents of the
cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is
one of the ingredients. (Actually he was told it's a compound which
is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore, just by the dog
walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own
paws, it ingested
enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's
death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They
both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors."
--since bulldogs are so allergy prone, no harsh chemicals
should ever be used around the house
E.S.

1 Comments:

Blogger DWEEB2006 said...

This is an "urban legend" that has been circulating for some time now. Here is the official P&G statement as well as other sites debunking this claim including one from the ASPCA:
"There is a false Internet rumor circulating rapidly among pet owners alleging that Swiffer® WetJet® may contain antifreeze and is harmful to pets. The Swiffer Wet® cloths and WetJet® liquid solution cleaners do not contain antifreeze or any ingredient similar to it. In fact, all Swiffer products are safe to use around pets."
We evaluated the Swiffer Wet cloths and WetJet cleaners to ensure they're safe-a fact confirmed by the ASPCA®, independent veterinarians, and scientists. In fact, for nearly five years, people in more than 15 million U.S. homes have safely used Swiffer products on everything from the kitchen and living room floors to tables and ceiling fans.
We have pets, too, and their health and well-being are very important to us. Please help us stop this rumor by sharing the truth with others. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us."

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16054&security=2220&news_iv_ctrl=1101
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home