Friday, August 05, 2005

Bulldog School part 2

English Bulldog cards, bulldog gifts, bulldog t-shirts, bulldog health: "Then I wanted to train her to 'stay' since she
would run off at any opportunity. Trainers say
that is the most difficult command to teach.. So
I decided to connect it with her breakfast and
dinner.
When it was time to eat, I made her sit and 'stay!'
I would stand between her and the food and have
her sit. I included a hand signal of upraised
flat palm (as in halt)with the voice command.
First I'd have her stay for just a moment. Then
with a sweeping, pointing hand signal I'd direct
her to the food bowl. She was very happy to eat.
I gradually increased the time, eventually being
able to leave the room for a short time and find her
still sitting when I returned.
She quickly got the idea. Now when she looks
like she's going to run off or is considering the
bulldog body slam, I simply raise my hand up and
say 'STAY'. And she does it!
Gotta love that!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home